Saturday, October 15, 2016

Singapore in 48 hours

I am not going to lie. Before I went back to Singapore as a tourist for the first time in more than a decade, I thought nothing happened in this place. With all these rules to follow, you can't help but feel restricted. No, I am not going to litter even without the specter of being fined SGD1000 (or something like that), but I guess I want my government to trust me for not doing so.

A bit of background before we start on the things you can do in Singapore as a tourist. You see, Malaysia is somewhat the laid-back sister of Singapore. Your achievement-obsessed parent won't let a day go past without reminding her of how much your other sibling has achieved, but secretly hangs out with you more because they feel more comfortable being human around you. Many of us have been to Singapore either as a treat for making it through primary school, a destination for better-paying work, or a visit to relatives who decided to make Singapore home. Fewer of us go there for a vacation because it is essentially Malaysia, with more air-cond and better public transport system.

So, when deciding on where to go for a short trip when I am in town, I was a little conflicted about visiting Singapore. However, since I don't have a lot of time, it seemed attractive enough. And also, I have quite a few friends from going back to school last year that are currently there.

I finally settled on a 3D2N, flying in the first day and leaving on the last morning. So, technically, there was around 40 hours to spend in Lion City. But it was enough time to fit in quite a bit of Singapore. So, if you have only around that amount of time to spend in Singapore, here is what you can do:

I. Get the Singapore tourist pass
Cost: SGD16 for 2 days (Aug 2016)
Time: 15-30 minutes depending on the queue

This pass will make it convenient for you to navigate the Singaporean public transport system. It is efficient and there are signboards everywhere. But if you don't live in any city... you're bound to get lost. This will be useful because you don't have to worry about missing your stop and spending yet more SGD unnecessarily (of course, this doesn't apply if you come from the EU or US).

II. Chinatown
Cost: SGD 0
Time: Around 2 hours
Where: There are a few MRTstations that are close to Chinatown, but Outram Park seems to be the closest)

Things to see here: The Budda Tooth Relic Temple and Museum, a mosque, an Indian temple (Sri Mariamman Temple), the Chinese Heritage Museum, and much more. You can sample the food at the Food Street and buy your souvenirs at the street market. For more attractions click here. However, if you are going to go around Singapore for the following days, do visit the Singapore Tourism office next to the Buddha Relic Temple. You can get your tickets to visit places like Gardens by the Bay and the other museums around Singapore. Sometimes they have promotions and discounts as well.

III. Pass out on your bed
Cost: SGD 0
Time: Depends on how tired you are
Where: Your AirBnB, hotel or wherever you are staying (probably not a backpackers)

AirBnB is not yet legal in Singapore, so if you go for those, you need to be a bit more careful with your booking. Otherwise, lodging is quite expensive in Singapore. Prices are similar to Hong Kong (perhaps just a bit cheaper). I was quite tired before the trip, so it took me close to 3 hours to get myself off the bed again.

IV. Library@Orchard
Cost: SGD 0
Time: Depends on how much you like books
Where: At the Orchard Gateway
A view from the top


You can literally spend a day here if you really love books. From a quick glance, the collections are amazing. I love the author J.D. Robb, and it has all the books in the "In Death" series!

Do check out their magazine collection too, and you can find all sorts, from tech to gardening to news and popular culture. All these packed up in sleek, beautifully crafted bookshelves.

What's best? It's free! If I live in Singapore I swear I'll be here at least one day off every week!

Ways to get here: by MRT, Somerset station.

V. Food @ Haji Lane and surrounding areas
Cost: SGD 20-30
Time: As long as it takes to devour your food
Where: MRT Station, Bugis

Haji Lane is one of the must-visits of Singapore for its local food. It is also home to some nice pubs and interesting street art. We had the Singaporean version of the Briyani and Murtabak at this establishment and the murtabak was awesome! Forgot to check its opening hours, but Google says it opens 7am to 11pm so you have plenty of time to visit!

Image from yelp.com

V. Sentosa and Fort Siloso
Cost: SGD 0 if you just walk around. Some entrance fees are required to enter the museums and parks.
Time: Around 2-3 hours
Where: MRT HarbourFront

Sentosa is a nice place to go to if you want a fun day at the beach or if you are in the mood for some fun in the water (there is a water park here and this is perhaps the least air-conditioned part of Singapore you can find). 

Fort Siloso, on the other hand, is quite something if you are into history. It is the Fort that was used as to keep prisoners during World War II when the Japanese took Malaya. Here is a video about it.

VI. Gardens by the Bay (website)
Cost: SGD 28 max (for 2 conservatories)
Time: Around 5 hours
Where: MRT Bayfront

If you ask me this is the best place in Singapore. I just love it. It is just as its name describes. It is a huge garden by the Marina Bay, a bay beside Singapore's Central Business District. The CBD is a hub that houses most of the financial sector operating in Singapore. A bit like Malaysia's Kuala Lumpur City Centre and Bukit Bintang, or Hong Kong's Central. 

If you have never been to a tropical forest this is as close as man can make it to be. It is oh so beautiful. I'll let the photos do the talking:

 



I didn't take many photos like I did the first time I was there, but you can expect a beautiful waterfall, two domes of relief from the humidity and heat, and a skywalk you would not forget!

VI. Marina Bay
Cost: SGD 0
Time: 30 mins - 1 hour
Where: Just beside Gardens by the Bay

Marina Bay holds many beautiful memories for me. It is really beautiful and I could only say it is the place where I feel most peaceful in Singapore every time I was there. There is a LV shop which has a floating platform where you can sit down with a bread or coffee and see this:

Source: cegoh @ http://pixabay.com/en/singapore-river-skyline-building-255116/

I don't know if I would recommend Singapore as a vacation spot (it is a little too hectic a place for me), but it has its charms. The food is awesome and kind of reminds me of home, and public transport is awesome. Perhaps my previous trips were mostly due to work or an event (watched Phantom of the Opera at the Marina Bay theatre). But I was pleasantly reminded that if you care to take time to have fun, Singapore can be a quite interesting place to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment