Saturday, October 6, 2012

The virtue of setting goals

Goals are, corny, at best. I mean, who wants to be reminded of the days when we wrote in our report card our goals for the coming term? Get an A for history, pass the Math exam.

Over the years I've learnt the virtue of simply just saying - I want to do this next year and this is what I am going to do to make it a reality. It makes you accountable, it gives you focus.

At first I never really meant it. I only set goals I knew I would achieve. Get X number of As in major exams, finish a project or yearbook. Finish X amount of books in a year.

But recently with changes in my personal and professional life I inadvertently started to mope and focus on the teeny weeny details that did not help me enjoy the journey as much as I thought I would. Until someone told me to write down my goals and keep it in my drawer so I do not lose sight of what I wanted in life.

I have no drawer at home so here's my list of to-dos before Dec 31, 2013:
1. Run a 10km marathon in under 1 hour
2. Exercise and meditate every day
3. Monthly day/weekend trips to all states in Peninsula Malaysia
4. Contribute an article to an international publication

In essence goal-setting shifts the mind to focus on the future and ensure that we could live in the present, because we would know that whatever we do now is a step towards our goal.

We'll see if I can cross most of these things on the list off next year. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment